The book of Judges shows how the Israelites sinned against God, how the wages of sin brings about spiritual death and how disobedience and purposefully staying in sinful acts will bring about judgment on a person, people, country, nation and world.
Major themes from Judges include the covenant broken between the Israelites and God due to the people of Israel not doing as they said, judges being raised up by God and Israel’s destruction. Below are some highlighted lessons to consider from the book of Judges.
1) Keep in covenant with God. Every relationship has a covenant whether we know it or not. Each person in the relationship must do their part to build and bring about a healthy outcome. Staying in covenant with God is our protection, safety and security. However when we go astray it leads to serious consequences.
2) God will raise up a voice and person that is bold enough to speak and do what He tells them to. In the book of Judges there were major judges such as Othniel, Deborah, Gideon, Ehud, Samson and Jephthah. These judges brought Israel out of unjust treatment and persecution.
3) Who we do business with and connect with matters. Seek God’s wisdom concerning partnerships. The Danites(one of the tribes of Israel) experienced loss when they were forced out of their inheritance land – which was the result from the tribe not seeking God’s wisdom in who they partnered with.
4) Ungodly cycles continue when people keep the mindset of living for self. The cycle of apostasy in Judges is when there’s a continual cycle of each generation who don’t know God, they worship idols and other false gods and partake in wickedness. God sends a judge to save them and the cycle goes over and over again.
5) Develop an appetite for God. An appetite for worldly sinful pleasures will draw us away from wanting more and more of the Lord.