Literacy has an important position and role in our communities and world. When I think of literacy I think of books and reading. Growing up reading was one of my favorite activities to do, especially reading creative stories. I still enjoy reading even up to this present time. There are many ways in which literature functions in life. Whether it’s in a classroom, library, house, workplace or any other location, it still remains information and knowledge. Below are some highlighted lessons to consider on literacy.
1) Communication and the comprehension of it can be developed through many kinds of reading and different kinds of writing. We communicate in various ways including talking, listening and the way we act. Language is a strong part in how we communicate. What we say, how we listen and what we write all has a part in the process.
2) Writing promotes literacy. Every time a writer writes and shares their writing they encourage others to read, communicate and connect in some form.
3) Literacy is for everyone. Whether a person likes/dislikes to read and write and/or is strong/not strong in reading and writing, we all need it for everyday life and while it doesn’t have to be everyone’s favorite thing to do we can make it interesting in creative ways.
4) Literacy can be in the form of pictures and music. Images and music communicates a message, sound or information when we view and listen closely and thoroughly.
5) Literacy affects every area of living on earth and the quality of life. The attention we give literacy in whatever form can bring the change and increase we need in earthly living.
What lessons have you learned through/about literacy?