We all face temptation from within and coming from Satan the tempter. It is not a sin to be tempted, the sin is giving in to the temptation.
In my transperency I can say that there are temptaions that hit my weak areas and sometimes I fall short and feel shame all around. I’ve learned to always get up after a fall and surrender my will to God’s will.
Never is it smooth or easy, but I have developed a strong prayer life that causes me to triumph over temptations. I’m nowhere near perfect, I just allow the Perfect One to shape me and mold me into what He wants me to be.
Below are some points to consider on overcoming temptation through prayer.
Prayer Point: “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. ” (Matthew 6: 13)
1) Temptations test our faith, humbles us to depend on God and revelas what is in our heart. (Deuteronomy 8: 2 & 3)
When our faith is tested it is meant to perfect us. In our falling short we realize that we are not able to make it without God. The conditions of our heart becomes clear when we are tempted.
2) Temptations are meant to teach us and build our spiritual muscles. (Judges 3: 1,2)
Spiritual warfare is unavoidable for the believer. We are to fight against demonic spirits, wickedness in high places and principalities. Through temptations we learn strategies and how to apply biblical principals to our lives.
3) Temptations are meant to increase us and lead us into inheritance.(Exodus 23: 29, 30)
4) Temptations are meant to remove impurities,develop patience and improve us.(James 1: 2 – 4)
5) Temptations provide an opportunity to walk in victory and defeat the devil.(Matthew 4: 1- 11)