The book of Ruth is an amazing story of redemption and love. In the bible, Kinsman – Redeemer was a protection law that was in place for the welfare of the poor from being taken advantage of and from the wealthy taking away property that came from a people(community). The Kinsman – Redeemer is a reflection that God will redeem Israel from their suffering and the injustices and that Jesus is a Savior for humankind and will come back to conquer every evil deed . Below are some highlighted lessons on the book of Ruth to consider.
1) It’s better to be in a famine and under God’s protection, then to have a feast and step outside of God’s direction. When Elimelech and his wife Naomi(along with two sons) left Judah to stay in Moab, they stepped outside of God’s direction. Moab was a land in the bible where people worshipped false gods and idols.
2) Running from trouble brings added trouble when we are outside the will of God. In Ruth 1, it mentions that Elimelech(Naomi’s husband) died and later on Mahlon and Chilion(Naomi’s sons) died. There are always negative consequences from making a choice to be outside the will of God.
3) Faithfulness always ignites breakthrough. Ruth went into the field to gather from the harvest. God used Boaz to protect, provide and be generous to Ruth. Ruth stayed with her mother – in – law Naomi and went in the field and miraculous things erupted from that.
4) When you look out for someone else and allow God to work through you for their blessing, bitterness will dissipate. Naomi who was bitter decided to let go of the bitterness and she guided Ruth in how to go to Boaz.
5) To travel from grief to restoration it requires trust, faith and obedience. Ruth had to trust that after the death of her husband that this was not the end of her story. In addition, she had to believe that God would turn her situation around and she had to follow the instructions she was given from her mother – in – law and take action from her trust and faith.